As you might’ve gathered from the name, kimchi holds a prominent place in our new meatball & kimchi stir fry bowl. And in the event that you wanted to know more about the bowl’s namesake ingredient, today’s your lucky day. Here’s your quick answer to the quick question, “what the heck is kimchi??”
- Traditionally, kimchi is lacto-fermented cabbage.
- The flavor is best described as briny pickled cabbage (but you really ought to try it for yourself).
- Kimchi comes in all sorts of varieties & flavors, but we use Wildbrine Korean Kimchi in our kitchens.
- Lacto-fermentation just means that lactobacillus is the bacteria driving the process.
- Wildbrine’s fermentation process involves coating the veggies & spices in sea salt, which kills bacteria and supports naturally occurring probiotics, good bacteria. The good bugs then convert the sugar in the veggies into lactic acid, preserving the bright flavor & color of the veggies.
- The array of probiotics in the kimchi help keep your gut in check, boost your immunity, improve digestion & more. (It’s a no brainer as to why we call this a Bowl with Benefits.)
Let’s be honest, there’s no faster way to become in expert in all things kimchi than just digging right in. Get your hands on this bowl by visiting your nearest Snap shop, or ordering for pickup or delivery on our website our iOS app!