As you may have noticed, we’re pretty jazzed up about breakfast over here at Snap Kitchen. Probably because our new lineup is that incredible, and possibly because we’ve had one too many cans of La Colombe Pure Black. And since we’re into nutritious just as much as we’re into delicious, today I’m sharing a few dietitian principles I keep in my back pocket to build a better breakfast.
I think of every eating occasion as an opportunity to get a serving (or more!) of veggies in, and breakfast is no exception. It’s no mystery as to why veggies are the focal point of every healthy eating lifestyle. They’re full of fiber, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory components, and other phytonutrients that prevent disease and nourish you. So how can you get a jumpstart on your veggie intake? Here’s just a few ideas:
- superfood sunrise salad: Yep. Breakfast salad is a thing and it’s totally awesome.
- breakfast platter: We healthy hacked grits, the decadent brunch classic, by replacing the cornmeal with cauliflower. Not only is it our favorite cruciferous veg, but it’s also packed with glucosinolates to support your cardiovascular, digestive, immune, inflammatory, and detoxification systems. (Psst… If you want to double down on the good stuff, go for a side of cheesy cauliflower grits.)
- super greens: This is the easiest way to add a green boost any meal, breakfast included. It’s basically a salad in a bottle that sips smooth and boasts tons of vitamin A from all those leafy greens for healthy eyes and skin.
the macro puzzle
Have you ever eaten a bowl of cereal, only to end up starving by 10AM? That’s due in large part to the speed with which our body digests and utilizes carbohydrates (C), in contrast to its fellow macronutrients– protein (P) & fat (F). For that reason (and to avoid major blood sugar spikes first thing in the AM), I always encourage people to eat the following AM combinations: C + P + F or C + P or C + F or P + F. Need some examples to crack the code? Say no more.
- C + P + F = turkey sausage breakfast sandwich (Psst… there’s sneaky veggies in our paleo cauliflower bun! )
- C + P = chicken sausage egg stack (add F with caveman quickies)
- C + F = banana pancakes (add P with Greek yogurt)
- P + F = egg & pork sausage pack (add C with fresh fruit)
get your gut in check
It’s a smart idea to eat the majority of your meals with your gut in mind, so you might as well start early, right? Gut health looks a little different for everyone, but probiotics (beneficial bacteria) & prebiotics (fibrous food for those good bacteria) are staples across the board.
- Pair banana pancakes with a blueberry chia parfait for a prebiotic- and probiotic-packed meal that also incorporates P, F & C.
- Try stirring Greek yogurt into your maple roasted banana oatmeal for a completely balanced breakfast that’s a great gut check and can be enjoyed chilled.